Frequently Asked Questions

​​Who is eligible for Safe at Home?

The Safe at Home Program is open to United States citizens and residents of Kentucky and their family who are victims of domestic violence and abuse, stalking, a sex crime, or a crime against a minor​r victim. Participants are required to provide a statement, under penalty of perjury, explaining the need to conceal their addresses.

Are Temporary Residents Eligible?

Yes, individuals who only plan to stay in Kentucky for a short time, such as college students, are eligible for the program. In addition, the Secretary of State's Office establishes reciprocity with other states. If an individual is enrolled in an address confidentiality program in their home state, they will be accepted into the Kentucky Safe at Home program.

What are the benefits of Safe at Home?

The program is at no cost to the participant and does three main things: 

Address Substitution: Participants use the Secretary of State's Address on all public records in lieu of their own. Their address will be masked on state and local government records.

Mail Forwarding: The Secretary of State's Office will forward mail to the participant's confidential address.

Voter Registration: Participants can safely exercise their right to vote by having their address hidden on publicly available voter records. Participants are eligible to vote via mail-in absentee ballot.

How do I participate in the Safe at Home Program?

If you are eligible and believe that disclosure of your address would endanger you or your children, you can apply to participate in the Safe at Home Program by submitting a completed Application to the Secretary of State's office. If your Application is properly completed and you are not required to register as a sex offender or otherwise prohibited from participating, the Secretary of State will certify you as a participant. You will receive a participant card and an enrollment packet.

I need help applying for certification. Can someone else assist me?

If you need help filling out your Application, please contact the Secretary of State's office or one of the designated assistance agencies. In addition, if the applicant is a minor or has been declared incompetent, then a parent, guardian, or the designee of a parent or guardian may apply for the applicant.

How much does it cost to participate in the Safe at Home Program?

There is no cost to apply for or participate in the Safe at Home Program.

How long does certification last?

Certification is effective for four years, unless you withdraw or your certification is cancelled prior to that date.

How can I renew my certification?

If you want to renew your certification to participate in the Safe at Home program, you must submit to the Secretary of State, at least 5 business days before your certification expires, a renewal Application. You will be notified whether your certification was renewed within 5 business days after the Secretary of State receives your renewal Application.

For what reasons will the certification be canceled?

Certification will be canceled if you applied using false information or are required to register as a sex offender. Certification may be canceled if you fail to notify the Secretary of State within 14 days of a change of your name or address.

Can I appeal a cancellation of certification?

Yes. In order to appeal a cancellation of your certification, within 30 days after your certification is canceled, you must submit an Appeal, including an explanation of why your certification should not be canceled, to the State Board of Elections. The State Board of Elections will approve your appeal if grounds for cancellation do not exist.​