The Kentucky Civic Health Index
On March 1, 2012, Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes released the 2011 Kentucky Civic Health Index, a report that measures Kentucky's overall civic health.
The Institute for Citizenship and Social Responsibility at Western Kentucky University, in partnership with the National Conference on Citizenship (NCoC) and with support from the Secretary of State’s office, the McConnell Center at the University of Louisville, and Kentucky Advocates for Civic Education, prepared the report based on U.S. Census Current Population Survey data.
The report examines various aspects of public participation, including voter turnout, political involvement, volunteerism, group membership, and community and family relationships, comparing performance among demographic groups and to other states. It is the first report of its kind in Kentucky.
The Kentucky Civic Health Initiative
Secretary Grimes believes the Civic Health Index provides a valuable tool to shape Kentucky's future and to stop the trend of declining civic engagement. Following the release of the Report, she kicked off the inaugural Civic Health Initiative, a statewide series of roundtable discussions at Kentucky's universities and colleges to improve Kentucky's overall civic health. All events are open to the public, so come join the conversation or follow along on facebook
- November 8, 2012, 11:00 CST - Western Kentucky University
- November 13, 2012, 10:30 ET - Eastern Kentucky University
- November 30, 2012, 10:30 ET - Kentucky State University
- January 10, 2013, 12:30 ET - Transylvania University
- January 31, 2013, 10:30 CST - Murray State University
- February 16, 2013, 11:00 ET - Northern Kentucky University
- March 20, 2013, 10:30 ET - University of Kentucky
- March 21, 2013, 9:30 ET - University of the Cumberlands
- March 26, 2013, 11:15 ET - Centre College
- April 4, 2013, 2:30 ET - Morehead State University
- April 9, 2013, 12:15 ET - Henderson Community & Technical College
- April 22, 2013, 10:30 ET - University of Louisville
- April 24, 2013, 11:00 ET - Hazard Community & Technical College
- April 25, 2013, 1:00 ET - Elizabethtown Community & Technical College
- May 1, 2013, 11:00 - University of Pikeville
If you have any questions about the Civic Health Initiative, please contact the office at (502) 564-3490 or via email.