The Chickasaw Indian Nation relinquished all lands east of the Mississippi River and north of the Mississippi state line with the signing of the Treaty of October 19, 1818. The treaty, ratified by the United States Senate and confirmed by President James Monroe on January 7, 1819, expanded Kentucky's western territory by approximately 2,000 square miles and Tennessee's western territory by approximately 6,000 square miles. The Kentucky Encyclopedia. The newly-acquired area in Kentucky became known as the Jackson Purchase.
On February 14, 1820, the Kentucky General Assembly passed legislation that provided for the mapping of the lands west of the Tennessee River into ranges, townships and sections. On December 21, 1821, the legislature provided for the sale of vacant fractional or complete quarter-sections (160 acres) in the Purchase Area. On January 3, 1825, the Kentucky General Assembly mandated the appointment of a Receiver of Public Moneys to oversee the land sales. The Receiver's office was to be located in Waidsborough in Calloway County.
The West of Tennessee River Non-Military Patents database includes the names of persons who bought tracts at public land sales, their assignees, witnesses to assignments, grantees, costs of tracts and total acreage. It contains scanned images of more than 8,500 patent files. The database also links to the Jackson Purchase Locator, which allows researchers to determine the location of the patented tract.
The database is searchable by township, range and East/West coordinates, and information can be sorted under the grid-view option. By entering township, range and East/West coordinates into the related Jackson Purchase Locator, researchers may determine patent receipts for any location included on the 1885 Loughridge Map of the Jackson Purchase.
For assistance researching West of Tennessee River Non-Military Patents, please review the frequently asked questions or contact the Land Office at (502) 564-3490 or by email.